Find a Job
Reports to: Director of Programs and Visitor Engagement
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The Manager of the National Colonial Farm cares for the historical and agricultural resources of the National Colonial Farm and provides guidance and leadership in how those resources are interpreted to the public through public events, daily interpretation, and school programs. Another important part of the role is to provide historic expertise and knowledge of environmental sustainability as a backbone for interpretive programs.
View full job description at www.accokeek.org
Friday, September 12, 2014
Salary: $11.25 per hour
SUMMARY: Creative, motivated person needed to work year round as an historical interpreter at First State Heritage Park in Dover. This is a part-time/year-round position which may vary from 15-30 hours per week. Saturday work may be necessary as well as occasional evenings & holidays.
The State of Delaware is AA/EOE.
• Strong interest in history required. Some background or college coursework in American history preferred.
• Excellent customer service skills in welcoming visitors of all ages to the park.
• Ability to present accurate historical material in an engaging way.
• Ability and willingness to learn a significant amount of historical material essential.
• Public speaking experience and ability to communicate effectively to all age groups necessary.
• A willingness to develop acting skills required; some theatrical experience helpful.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Ability to lift 40 lbs. is necessary.
• Conduct tours of Delaware’s capitol building – Legislative Hall.
• Conduct a variety of historical walking tours in period clothing.
• Provide historical interpretation at the John Bell House on The Green.
• Conduct school tours and programs for kindergarten through college-age groups.
• Participate in historical theater presentations and evening lantern tours.
• Assist with various tasks to enhance and promote the park.
• Willing to work Saturdays, occasional evenings & some holidays.
BENEFITS: This is a seasonal position without traditional benefits. Direct Deposit of paychecks will be required as a condition of employment for new employees.
First State Heritage Park
102 S. State Street
Dover DE 19901
Note: Applications can be obtained on-line at: http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/parks/Home/Documents/Application_Seasonal.pdf
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No telephone calls please.